David Parr House and Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge (1)

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter https://twitter.com/TheDecArtsSoc

David Parr House and Mill Road Cemetery, Cambridge


Thu 10 Oct 2019

186 Gwydir Street is a small terraced house bought in 1886 by David Parr, a working-class ‘artist-decorator’ employed by F.R. Leach & Sons. They are known for their work in Cambridge on Queens’ Old Hall, Jesus College Chapel and All Saints’ Church; and nationally with George Bodley and William Morris. Over 40 years, David Parr decorated his home in the style of the Victorian Gothic Revival churches and Arts & Crafts houses he worked on every day. His intricately patterned, hand-painted walls are a wonder to behold; the guided tour lasts 75 minutes. Mill Road Cemetery, created in 1848, is a Grade II listed site, with several monuments and war graves. There are public art installations by Gordon Young, on the theme of birds and birdsong. The tour lasts 45 minutes (suitable shoes suggested).